Thursday, July 8, 2010

fragility

Doctrines of the Gospel class today was
all about
the resurrection.
Our last class was about
death and the spirit world.
Before class started,
Brother Allison made an announcement
He said, "You guys know Isaiah, who sat right over there?"
I knew before he even said the words.
We all held our breath.
He then told us that Isaiah had died this past weekend,
very suddenly of course,
leaving behind a 5-month old baby and a wife.
I sat there with my mouth hanging open...
It's always a shock to the system
when someone dies
but when it's someone you saw in class 5 days ago
and they aren't much older than you
it's a little bit heavier.
I was also assigned to give the doctrinal report today,
meaning that I got up
and shared some scriptures and quotes
about the resurrection.
Suddenly my assignment
became something a little bit more,
and I started to get shaky
I felt like crying
But I didn't have an exact reason for it
I didn't know him very well
But he sat right across from me
Always gave really wonderful insights
I didn't know how to give my report
I know my voice cracked a little bit,
but I felt like sharing this quote:

Many who think that life is unfair do not see things within the larger vision of what the Savior did for us through the Atonement and the Resurrection. Each of us has at times agony, heartbreak, and despair when we must, like Job, reach deep down inside to the bedrock of our own faith. The depth of our belief in the Resurrection and the Atonement of the Savior will, I believe, determine the measure of courage and purpose with which we meet life’s challenges.

James E. Faust, “‘Woman, Why Weepest Thou?’,” Ensign, Nov 1996, 52

I tried hard to bear my testimony of the resurrection,

but I had to swallow the lump

just a few times.

This experience made me think really hard

about the things I value the most

and helped me remember

how very fragile our lives here are.

What are you grateful for today

that you might miss tomorrow?

I can think of a few things...





Thank goodness for this.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kenz - that young man served in the same mission as me (much later, of course.) I've been getting updates about his funeral for the last few days. Life IS fragile-which is why it's so wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Your faith is a cool breeze on a warm day.

Love, dad

Terri said...

Dear Kenny; That touched me . Today I went to 4 adoptions with my supervisor. She shared that one of her young women that she had taught had lost her husband without any provacation. we talked about this subject for some time. She said they were attending BYU I and they were unbelieveably compatible taking turns going to school him one semester than her. Im certain this is the same young man. I love you kenz that was abeautiful gesture in a tough moment.

Kristen Moss said...

You are truly wonderful and have the best head on your shoulders.

Thanks for posting that.

Kristen Moss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It is so difficult to turn things over to the Lord when it seems he has done His will without asking my permission. Of course then I remember that I gave him permission when I chose to come to earth,... and every week when I take the sacrament. I am so amazed with your beauty.

Ging said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ging said...

It is so difficult to turn things over to the Lord when it seems he has done His will without asking my permission. Of course then I remember that I gave him permission when I chose to come to earth,... and every week when I take the sacrament. I am so amazed with your beauty.