Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Here Comes The Son

Yesterday was quite possibly the longest day of my life. I know I've had bad days and days that I felt I couldn't take anymore, but yesterday was what I would call verrrrrry heavy. Have you ever heard the quote, "Don't pray for a lighter load, pray for broader shoulders"? Well I really didn't feel like applying that to myself yesterday, despite the fact that it kept on flashing over and over in my poor, shriveled-up brain. I knew from looking at my To-Do list on Monday night that it was going to be a busy day, but I had no idea that Heavenly Father had some real tests in store for me. You can always tell what your biggest weaknesses are by the things Heavenly Father tests you on the most--patience is obviously one of mine. I started Tuesday with an early early class (Book of Mormon, which is always worth waking up for) and then went to the Taylor Chapel to try and study for a super-hard Spanish test I had to take that day. I ended up having trouble staying awake because first of all, the Taylor Chapel has cushy seats, and second of all, it's very quite and peaceful in there. I started praying for help to get through the day because I could see the storm clouds already forming. Pretty soon I couldn't even focus on Spanish at all and then before I knew it it was time for my next class. All of my classes finished by 12:30 but that was just the end of Round One. P.S. I hope this post doesn't sound whiny. I'm trying to build up to all of the awesomeness that followed all the badical-ness.

After a great devotional by Brother Gardner (former member of the seventy; you should definitely look up that talk!) the madness began. I went home to squeeze in a catnap before I studied for my Spanish test, which ended up taking me an hour to take. I also didn't do as well as I thought I would, but once again I prayed that Heavenly Father would help me to accept my score and also to learn from my mistakes. After the exam I ran up to the math lab in the library to start on the intense load of math homework I had coming. At about this time I got a phone call from the ward secretary telling me that I needed to meet with the Bishop about my calling. I did some homework until 8:30 and then ran over to the Romney to meet with him. Only problem was there were 2 girls in front of me and they took a lot longer than I had anticipated. I started to feel the stress building up again and prayed (like I had been doing allllll day long; I bet Heavenly Father was getting sick of the same ol' prayer: "Help."). I ran back over to the library to get my stuff (by this time it was almost 10) and started doing homework. I could feel myself getting frustrated and blaming other people for all of my problems. I tried to push out all of these feelings but couldn't seem to shake them. That's when Bishop Cramer came out of his office and I finally went in for my interview. That's when the miracles started happening and I know it's no coincidence that it began in his office. As soon as I walked in all of the stress and worries melted away. After asking me a little bit about myself, he asked, "Is there anything special you'd like to talk about?" I had to think about it for a second, and then I realized that he didn't know I was there for a calling. The point is that I was about to start bawling in front of this man I hardly knew and tell him all about my day. Bishops are seriously the coolest guys ever! Instead of breaking down I told him why I was really there, and he was really embarrassed for not knowing about it. After he called me to be ward pianist (which I already knew about..heheh) he told me how much he loved music and how important my calling was. That meant a whole lot! After the interview he told me how grateful he was that I was so patient and kind, waiting a whole hour and half after my appointment. I took that as a "slap on the wrist" from Heavenly Father; it was a compliment I didn't deserve. As I was walking away from his office, I literally looked upward and said, "Okay, Heavenly Father, I learned my lesson. Thank you for teaching me my lesson the hard way." After that my mind was perfectly clear; I rushed back to the library and completed a math assignment in less than an hour that should've taken 2. Then I ran home and wrote a bunch of questions that had to be posted online by midnight in 20 minutes--that should've taken me at least another hour. This gave me an hour to do my Spanish homework (it was 12am by this time) and I got it done! After I finally got in my bed I was able to fall asleep quickly and it was the best night of sleep I've had since I got here. Even though it was only 6 or 7 hours, it felt like 12. I know it was deep sleep because I had three dreams and I didn't feel tired when I got up this morning. I realized that yesterday was literally a day of miracles, and it makes me want to rejoice in the love that Heavenly Father has for me and all of His children! Before writing this post, I read my older brother's letter, who is also experiencing many miracles as he serves. Somehow when we find the time to sacrifice for Heavenly Father, he always returns it to us a hundredfold! I have no doubt that Heavenly Father cares about "silly things" like grades, sleep, and tests. Not after yesterday.

Moroni 7:35-37
35 And now, my beloved brethren, if this be the case that these things are true which I have spoken unto you, and God will show unto you, with apower and great glory at the last bday, that they are true, and if they are true has the day of miracles ceased?
36 Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he awithheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?
37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that amiracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of bunbelief, and all is vain.

3 comments:

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

I continue to be more and more impressed by you young lady.

Unknown said...

The world had better watch out...someone amazing is preparing to do amazing things...

JP Anderson said...

If you're getting a "slap on the wrist" for a day like that then I had better watch for lightning.