Saturday, September 6, 2008

Starving Student on the Loose!

Make a note of this for future reference: my first blog is all about food. Perhaps in the future I'll deviate from this course, but for now I am typing to the rhythm of my growling stomach. These past few days have become a giant blur which I have crumpled up into a ball and stuffed into my pockets for later. At every orientation activity up here in Rexburg, we have been given lunch. The first day we had hot dogs...or should I say, my dad and two younger siblings had hot dogs. I ate a few Fritos and suddenly craved an Italian Ice (remember those?!). The next feast (I measure time now by meals) was a Parent/Student luau at the MC, and it was actually pretty scrumptious. The only problem was that my body wanted bread, pasta, Ritz crackers, raw ramen, and ridiculous amounts of granola. Too bad Hawaiians don't eat bread without pineapple bits in it! So once again I had to pass up on the carbs (whoever the Atkins guy is, I hope you're reading this!!!!). The next day I had a bran muffin for breakfast, and after I ate mine my mom made a face as she finished hers. "What?!" I asked. "Is something wrong with it?" Had I become immune to the possible bits of pineapple, raisin, or other mystery hunks in my bread?! Day two of college and it had already come to that.... For lunch we had burgers on buns which had been frozen and then defrosted in the Idaho sun. In other words, they were as soggy as snowmen on the first day of summer. By now I was starting to think that bread was something "discouraged against" like girls wearing flip-flops or guys wearing "non-masculine pants" (you've seen 'em, you've feared 'em, you should never attempt to wear them). Dinner that night was something I scared up myself, called a Ta-qui-to. It's a Mexican Specialty....commonly found in the freezer aisle. Let's just say it made my day and give my parents a big round of applause for getting those (AND shrimp! yaya!). I woke up a bit late this morning and only had a few bites of Golden Grahams before jetting off (haha I can use the word "jetting" now because I is a college stooodent!), so the rest went down the disposal. Lunch was a mix of granola bars, frozen yogurt, and Ritz crackers. Let's just say tomorrow when I go over to Audrey's apartment for a "break the fast" I'll be loading up on the rolls. For now the Chronicles of Wonder Bread are closing another chapter....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Note to "starving" student. In almost every college town in America, there is something called the "Wonderbread store."

Love, dad

Ging said...

Your writing is, as it ever was, fun to read. Blogging is a great place to polish your skills.Now go and eat something...